🤔 Do you suffer with lower back issues? Pain, stiffness, tightness? Whether you've been suffering with lower back issues for a while, or they've come on in the last few weeks due to a change in your life.
👆 Here are 2 exercises we often prescribe when we are presented with lower back tension and reduced range of motion in the lumbar spine.
1️⃣ Lumbar rotations
- Start laying flat on the back, with arms out straight at shoulder height. Bend hips and knees but keep feet flat on the floor.
- Keeping the legs together, rotate them down to one side. Only go as far as possible, without the opposite hand lifting from the floor. Feel the stretch in the lower back and side of torso.
- Then rotate legs back through the middle and over to the other side.
- Hold at end range position for 2-3 seconds. Slow and controlled movements between the 2 positions.
- If this feels comfortable, bring both hips and knees up to 90° and repeat.
🎯 Aim for 5-10 repetitions on each side and 2-3 sets to begin to feel the benefit.
🏃♂️ Most effective pre-exercise.
🤸♀️ Can also be utilised post-exercise as a developmental stretch - hold in the end range position for anywhere between 30-60 seconds.
2️⃣ Foam roll lower back
- Place the roller underneath the lower back, bend the knees slightly and keep the feet flat on the floor.
- Rotate the torso to one side, so only one half of the lower back is in contact with the roller.
- Either cross the arms over the chest or place one arm down on the floor for support.
- Slow and controlled movements up and down between the spine, bottom of the rib cage and the top of the pelvis.
🎯 Aim for 60 seconds on each side.
🏃♀️ Most effective post-exericse.
🛋️ Can also be utilised after periods of sitting or standing.
👍 Give these a try and let us know if they're useful for you!